2nd Bucket collection at Breahead

What a great day for the Crushers at the bucket collection in Breahead. We had a the perfect spot right in the centre of Soar, with a large area cordoned off where we could go through our paces in full view of the hundreds of passing public. All the players took turns playing and raising money on the buckets, raising a fantastic £568.59. It was a great outcome for the day along with some invaluable exposure for the club and the bonus of a free fitness session. A huge thanks to all the volunteers, who kindly gave up their Saturday afternoon to help and a well done to our Fundraising coordinator, big Davie.

Super Series 1

For the first Super Series of the season the Crushers made the long trip down to  the Stoke Mandeville Stadium and what a weekend it turned out to be. Having been offered a place in division two it was going to be a hard fought weekend but, thankfully,  we were ably assisted by Coral Batey. The Saturday was an early start with tip off against Burn at 9:00am. Of all the teams we would be up against Burn were expected to give us the stiffest competition, the game itself was a cagey affair with Burn taking the lead and holding it for most of the game, before eventually taking the win by only seven points. Bolstered by our performance in our opening game we were full of confidence going into the second, this time against Gloucester Titans.  Again this was another cagey affair, except this time it was the Crushers who would hold a slim lead for most of the game before running out as the winners by eight points.

The final game of the day would be against Liverpool and victory would gain us a place in the semi-final and the added bonus of a much need long lie. Liverpool were missing two of their most influential players in Big Roy and Martin Beddis, resulting in two losses, and having beaten Liverpool on our last outing for once we were going into the match as favourites. Liverpool  played some good rugby and fought hard but the Crushers took the win to set up a mouth-watering semi-final clash with Yorkshire.

Thankfully day two started off later than the first with tip-off against Yorkshire at 10:45am. For that game it was us that were going in as the underdogs, having never beaten Yorkshire before but with our previous victories and the prospect of actually making the final the Crusher were buzzing with confidence. The game was so tight with the lead fluctuating to and fro, with the result finishing at 45-45 at the end of normal time. We went into a nervous and exciting overtime, not once but twice. The game would hinge on who could make the less mistakes, and the Crushers played some amazing and inspired rugby and eventually running out as deserved winners 52-50. We were in a final!!!

We would meet up again with Burn in the final. Even though we had lost against them the previous day, results were going our way, we were playing some wonderful rugby at times and we were full of confidence. As with all the games played by then the final was no different, the pace and intensity was high and there was very little difference in the teams and scores. The final outcome was a win for Burn by only four points but the Crushers were far from being disappointed. Everyone was delighted with the weekend, topping things off with Michael and Ciaran winning best in class and Coral taking MVP. What a weekend.

Digby Brown’s continued support

The Caledonian Crushers Had a great week, with myself and Jason Speirs meeting up earlier this week with Chris Stewart, Partner and Head of Digby Brown’s Serious Injury Department and Kathleen McMonagle, Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, who presented the team with a cheque for £5,000 as part of there ongoing support.

The Crushers a overwhelmed with the support we receive each year from Digby Brown and would like to thank them for their continuous support and interest in our club. Without the support from such generous companies sports clubs like ourselves would not be able to run

So thank you Digby Brown

The MBE for Jo

It has been an amazing few years for our Jo, with success after success, culminating with her Gold at last year Paralympics. She has now been officially recognised by the Queen at a ceremony in Hollyrood Palace where she received the MBE for her sporting triumphs. Everyone at the club couldn’t be more pleased and happier for her. An accolade well deserved, for her hard work and dedication, and we are all incredibly proud of her.

GB Win European Championship

A fantastic championship was had by the GB squad as the take their 6th European title. Up against Sweden in the final it was a close and hard fought game, as you would  expect, but GB were victorious winning with a comfortable 8 goal margin, 49 – 41.

IWRF 2017 European Championship

The IWRF 2017 European Championship will be held on June 24 to July 1, at the Conlog Arena in Koblenz, Germany.  Held every two-years, this will be the 11th European Championship, and the first time that Germany has hosted the event.

The eight teams competing in Koblenz are reigning European champions Great Britain, along with Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Poland, Sweden and host nation Germany.

This tournament is a direct qualifier for the IWRF 2018 World Championship to be held in Sydney, Australia. The top four teams from this event will be invited to Worlds, while teams finishing out of the top four will have a chance to qualify through a Qualification Tournament to be held in early 2018.

All games at the IWRF 2017 European Division A Championship will be webcast live at Sportdeutschland.TV.


Bucket Collection at Soar Braehead

A big thanks to all those who turned up to help at the bucket collection at Soar INTU Braehead, all their hard work was greatly appreciated in raising a grand total of £285.43

Gemma the star

A wonderfull evening for our Gemma at the ANGUSalive sports awards 2016, where she won the Sports Personality of the Year Award for People with a Disability. An award that Gemma so very much deserves and we at the Crushers are very proud of her.

Super Series 3

Going into the final super series their place in division two for the following year was in great doubt. To stay up they would have to beat Liverpool again, and do something that has thus so far eluded them, defeat Yorkshire. They would face Burn, the Hawks and Gloucester on the Saturday and Yorkshire and Liverpool on the Sunday. At times they played some lovely flowing rugby, successfully putting what they trained on into practice. Although they never managed to secure either of the required victories and were ultimately relegated back into the third division, they showed great signs of improvement of which they should be very proud of.