Super Series 1

For the first Super Series of the season the Crushers made the long trip down to  the Stoke Mandeville Stadium and what a weekend it turned out to be. Having been offered a place in division two it was going to be a hard fought weekend but, thankfully,  we were ably assisted by Coral Batey. The Saturday was an early start with tip off against Burn at 9:00am. Of all the teams we would be up against Burn were expected to give us the stiffest competition, the game itself was a cagey affair with Burn taking the lead and holding it for most of the game, before eventually taking the win by only seven points. Bolstered by our performance in our opening game we were full of confidence going into the second, this time against Gloucester Titans.  Again this was another cagey affair, except this time it was the Crushers who would hold a slim lead for most of the game before running out as the winners by eight points.

The final game of the day would be against Liverpool and victory would gain us a place in the semi-final and the added bonus of a much need long lie. Liverpool were missing two of their most influential players in Big Roy and Martin Beddis, resulting in two losses, and having beaten Liverpool on our last outing for once we were going into the match as favourites. Liverpool  played some good rugby and fought hard but the Crushers took the win to set up a mouth-watering semi-final clash with Yorkshire.

Thankfully day two started off later than the first with tip-off against Yorkshire at 10:45am. For that game it was us that were going in as the underdogs, having never beaten Yorkshire before but with our previous victories and the prospect of actually making the final the Crusher were buzzing with confidence. The game was so tight with the lead fluctuating to and fro, with the result finishing at 45-45 at the end of normal time. We went into a nervous and exciting overtime, not once but twice. The game would hinge on who could make the less mistakes, and the Crushers played some amazing and inspired rugby and eventually running out as deserved winners 52-50. We were in a final!!!

We would meet up again with Burn in the final. Even though we had lost against them the previous day, results were going our way, we were playing some wonderful rugby at times and we were full of confidence. As with all the games played by then the final was no different, the pace and intensity was high and there was very little difference in the teams and scores. The final outcome was a win for Burn by only four points but the Crushers were far from being disappointed. Everyone was delighted with the weekend, topping things off with Michael and Ciaran winning best in class and Coral taking MVP. What a weekend.